Pages

Monday 26 April 2021

My Covid Walk: 3. Shannon Island

Where would I have reached if my year of walking in various lockdowns had been in one direction instead of daily ambles around North London?

My third idea takes me North West.  This would have required mostly walking on water and, even more alarmingly, above the place where the Titanic failed to stay on the surface, let alone me.

Leaving the physics to one side, would I have reached North America?  The answer is YES!


Shannon Island.  I couldn't make it to Canada or the U S of A, but the eastern coast of Greenland is in reach - and that includes Shannon Island, which I choose because I was born in Ipswich, Suffolk.  Let Wikipedia explain: 

Shannon Island is a large island in Northeast Greenland National Park in eastern Greenland). It was named by Douglas Clavering on his 1823 expedition for the Royal Navy frigate HMS Shannon, on which he served as midshipman under Sir Philip Broke. Broke was born at Broke Hall, Nacton, near Ipswich. He was educated at Ipswich School, where a house was later named in his honour.

Is it Covid-safe?

Couldn't be safer. 

On the Plus Side:

Social distancing (from humans - there are none).  Wildlife to look at but . . .

On the Minus Side:

. . . the wildlife is dangerous!  I can't outwalk a polar bear !  Also cold and windy even in summer.

Has it got a Football Team?

No (Greenland itself only just about has a football team).

Has it got a Baptist Church?

Er, no.

Prospects out of Ten:

Two.  Safe and beautiful in some ways but lonely after such a long walk . . .

No comments: