Pages

Thursday 1 March 2018

Happy St David's Day!



For all of us with family roots in Wales - you don't need to be much of a surname expert to know that must include me with a name like Roberts - this is a special day.  

Devotion to God has figured strongly in Welsh history - among other things.  Or should I write beneath other things.  My mother taught me this beautiful Welsh hymn, Calon Lân, when I was growing up.  I knew the words but didn't know what most of them meant, not being much of a welsh speaker.

Later I've found that to be a bit symbolic of welsh devotional music.  A singing, passionate nation of people holding forth words that go no deeper than the resonating back of our mouths.

You can hear this hymn sung at great sporting occasions, in pubs and bars, on carnival days.  Yet astonishingly the actual words of the last verse . . .

Hwyr a bore fy nymuniad
Esgyn ar adenydd cân
Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad,
Roddi i mi galon lân

translate something like . . . .

Evening and morning my wish
Rises on the wing of song,
To God, for the sake of my Saviour,
Give me a pure heart.

It's certainly an awesome prayer if we can ever mean it!

No comments: