Pages

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Mirrored

"Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?"

The wicked queen wanted to know.  But mirrors have a funny way of cutting us down to size.

The most obvious way they do this is by telling us, more honestly than a friend might, what we look like.

But the more interesting way, for me at least, was the one I first heard of some time ago and was reminded of in an article this past week.  When we look at our face in a mirror it is about half the size of our real face.  If you didn't know that then, like me the first time I heard it, you won't believe it.  And when you go to the mirror with your tape measure you'll find that it's true.

When we look at our lives in the mirror of Christ in Lent we also find ourselves diminishing.  Not in a harmful way or out of existence.  Just so that there is more room to see past myself to Someone greater and something better.

No comments: