Pages

Monday 26 July 2010

Trust. But then again . . . .

I enjoyed this classic good-bye letter from a Baptist Pastor.  You'll miss the irony unless you read to the bitter end, where I've added a picture to help . . .

Well, it is time to say goodbye. Twenty-one months ago I changed from being an outside consultant to your interim pastor. The different role has been good for me and for the congregation. 

There is a quality of relationship between pastor and people that is like no other.  It is one of affection, trust, shared spirituality, common faith, and mutual work and service. It takes time to cultivate and a lifetime to enjoy. . . 
 
You will read this after my last Sunday has passed and our formal goodbyes have been said. I will have returned the shepherd’s staff and the keys of the congregation. They will be waiting for a short time to be received by the pastor who comes after me. May you welcome him with grace and warmth. . . . 

Faithfully,
David

NOTE: Please return any books you have borrowed from me.
 
Faithfully,

No comments: