Pages

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Harvest Immortality

"Are you setting them out geographically?" my friend asked, looking at the swathe of harvest boxes in our sanctuary prepared for distribution following our Harvest Thanksgiving on Sunday.

I replied, "Just now we're still working on separating between each side of the River Jordan . . .". 

In case that's lost on anyone Jordan is a metaphor for life's final journey, as in
When I tread the verge of Jordan bid my anxious fears subside,
Death of death and Hell's destruction land me safe on Canaan's [i.e. the Promised Land's] side.

People have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure they live on beyond their earthly passing and the internet offers new ways of continuing when you've ceased to exist.  However I believe one very good way to attain earthly immortality is by getting your name on a Church Harvest Distribution List.

Scarcely ever have I sat on the Monday after a Harvest without dissecting a list of names between the living and the dead and for all my efforts this year we still managed to attempt a delivery to someone who had passed away in the summer.

Only the Lord can save your immortal soul.  But to save your name on earth?  Hey, just get on a Church Harvest List and your name will live on when you've gone.  In fact, some goodhearted soul will even pack you some food or flowers and come looking for you.  Tesco's may not deliver food to me after I'm dead but if I can just get on that Harvest list . . . .

No comments: