Pages

Friday 18 October 2013

Paid?

Continuing the theme of last Sunday's African Children Choir's inspirational visit to our church, I was brought down to (English) earth by reading this national newspaper correspondent's letter about his granddaughter's involvement in her Parish Church choir.

When asked if she was now considering being baptized into the Church, my granddaughter said she was unsure (she's 11). When asked why she sings in the Choir I was enlightened to these facts:
1) she likes singing
2) it gets her away from her nagging mum and
3) she gets paid (not a lot but paid nevertheless) and tells me she is saving her money so she can go to UNI later on in life.
She likes singing but feels the rest of the service, especially the sermon, is 'boring'. I asked her how many people attend church. "Quite a few in the morning", says she,
"How many?" says I,
"Oh about 20."
"What about Evensong" says I,
"Oh not many, about 8."
 
 

No comments: