Pages

Saturday 15 March 2014

Witchert

Last Sunday our fellowship of churches had its annual exchange Sunday and it was my happy assignment to head out into the countryside on a beautiful spring morning to take the service at Haddenham.

As a good Baptist I try not to take too much notice of buildings rather than people but at Haddenham that is difficult because it is the only place I will ever get the opportunity to take a service in a chapel constructed out of witchert, a limestone soil mixed with sand and straw.
 

I'm sure there is some profound comment I could make about that but one has eluded me.  Perhaps more would have come to mind if I'd been to the Methodist Chapel nearby, also made out of witchert.  It had previously shared a side wall with a public house.  The pub burned down.  A new one was built freestanding.  Soon after the side wall of the Methodist Chapel fell down.

Or, as the Bible doesn't quite say, the foolish man built his house against a pub . . .
 

No comments: