Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

Don't think. Just say it - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Google has just wished me a Happy New Year!!

And I wish it hadn't.  It's made my new year a bit miserable already because it made me think.  How can Google mean anything by wishing its readers such a thing?
 
Problem 1: Some very undesirable characters look at Google.  This is because nearly everyone looks at Google.  For some of them a Happy New Year involves very nasty things indeed for other people who look at Google who are also being wished a Happy New Year.  I mean, is there any lifer recently sentenced in any western nation who hasn't used Google?  For some Googlers to have a Happy New Year some must have a rotten one.
 
Problem 2:  Even if every Googler deserved a Happy New Year  (which they don't) there is no possibility at all that they can all have one.  There just isn't.  No atheist, no theist, no-one believes this is possible.  There's going to be stuff happening.  We'll need umbrellas, refunds, handkerchiefs, ambulances, fire stations, anti-terrorist units, law courts, mortuaries . . .
 
Problem 3:  What does a wish from Google mean?  What does Google think happiness is?  Surely Google wishes only for bigger profits?  Even if its wishes were feasible they are insincere.
 
So I think it's all Google's fault that Happy New Year has presented me with my first 'he thinks too much' of 2015.  But I do hope for a Happy Year and I pray to God that everyone who reads this will find true happiness which is only found in Him. 
 
Ironically God - the only One who could - does not wish us all a Happy New Year.  It's simply because our proper wish is not a Happy New Year but God himself.  A Happy New Year might even get in the way. 
 
Thou hast prompted man, that he should delight to praise thee, for thou hast made us for thyself and restless is our heart until it comes to rest in thee. [Augustine]

No comments: