Pages

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Of gods and men

People have been noticing that whereas in previous years there was an unpredictability about the news, now there is guaranteed at least one daily news item involving the word Trump.  Though on reflection there has probably not yet been a day with only one such item..

My attention was caught by the superfan of Donald Trump who prays every day in front of a cardboard cut out of his hero. A thousand comments flood my mind but for now I return to Upper Clapton and The Ark of the Covenant of the Agapemonites I referenced last week on this blog.

On September 7 1902 Smyth-Pigott, the leader of the Agapemonites (and still a priest of the Church of England which he had banned from his newly built church building) replaced the Communion table with an elaborate chair on which he sat. 

And then he stood.

And then he infamously said (as reported in the Hackney and Kingsland Gazette) that his predecessor had prepared the way and that
'I am that Lord Jesus Christ who died and rose again and ascended into heaven; ... Yes I am he that liveth and behold I am alive for evermore.  The Lord from heaven and the life-giving Spirit to those who know me and come to me.
... I am the Son of Man and you, each one of you, must be judged by me . . .'

Most of the congregation agreed with this astonishing revelation.  The cardboard cut out of God had his followers.

The locals were less happy and near riots ensued whenever Smyth-Pigott appeared thereafter.  He decamped to Somerset with his several spiritual brides.

Which, I contend, only goes to show that you can fool some of the people any of the time.

No comments: