Pages

Thursday 5 July 2018

World Cup Blogs 20: Peru

I have one lifelong, abiding admiration for Peru's football team.  Until recently I thought this admiration was largely my own, but the good old internet has uncovered that I am far from alone.

When I say lifelong I mean from the 1970 World cup onward as I only heard the 1966 finals on the radio, and anyhow Peru did not qualify.  Here's a picture:


What do I admire?  The design of the Peruvian football shirts.  To an untutored eye just another shirt perhaps, but in reality unique in their design and strikingly stylish and memorable. Click on this sentence to read one of many articles that share my opinion.

So, although I couldn't readily call to mind the name of a single Peruvian footballer or a single Peruvian football result, I could easily remember or draw a picture of their kit.  They must have had a very clever stylist to design something so lastingly admired in the crowded field of football kits.

But no. 

It turns out that the design is derived from school footballers wearing a red sash over their shirts to distinguish them from the boys in the other team.  One of life's greatest and divine principles is that beauty is so often found in simplicity.  Consider the lilies, how they grow . . .

No comments: