Pages

Saturday 7 July 2012

Higgs boson

Professor Stephen Hawking told the BBC this week that the result of an incredible thing that has happened in my lifetime (the almost-certain discovery of the Higgs boson particle at CERN, Geneva) cost him $100.  The scientists cheered at the Great Announcement of this (unconfirmed) discovery.  Hawking might have added that the Large Hadron Collider where it was probably discovered cost $10 billion.

This is the scientific equivalent of when I look on the back of a margarine container and discover a very obscure ingredient that was always there but I never knew for sure.  Then I carry on eating my toast.

I think I'll stick with being excited about the resurrection of the Lord Jesus.  Unpredictable but prophesied, inexplicable yet inevitable, unapplauded but history-changing.

No comments: