Pages

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Focus

I was delighted to read that someone of international standing has recommended my car!
 
Pope Francis said: "It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can't do this.  Cars are necessary. But take a more humble one. Think of how many children die of hunger and dedicate the savings to them."

Further investigation proves, allegedly, that he practices what he preaches. The Pope himself shuns comfortable expensive transport and when driving around his city he uses . . .


. . . a humble Ford Focus.

I was really feeling quite good about this.  Though not under Pope Francis's administration or tutelage I was conducting my ministry from the same humble transportation that he himself uses by way of example.
 
Then something bothered me.
 
When, in something of an emergency as my previous car clapped out, I bought my Ford Focus I thought it was a nice car, a good one that made me wonder whether, well, I should have bought something more humble.
 
Which only goes to show that a Pope's humility is a Baptist Pastor's luxury (at least in Britain!).
 
There again, Jesus walked . . .

No comments: