Pages

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Free


It wasn't especially hot today.  But for me it was extraordinary none the less.
 
First, I was walking along through the town and decided to buy a bottle of fizzy water.  It's Market Day.  There are people everywhere and lines of people in all the cheap shops.  I decide that I have no time to line up so I'll get my drink in a more expensive shop.
 
A strange conversation ensues.  I don't have enough change so I offer a £10 note.  This requires over £8 in change.  As the lady (I think she is the owner) starts to get the change together I hit upon some extra change in another pocket.  I offer the change to make it easier for her.  She looks at the change.  Says in slightly broken "English you want the change?" and proceeds to give me the ten pounds back while taking her change back.  So far so good.  So I offer the right money.  She says, "You have paid" and I say "I have not" and she says, "No, that is good -it is finished - you paid" and (she is a slightly irritable lady) shoves the till shut and sits back down saying thank you and expecting me to leave.  I have a free drink having placed all kinds of stuff on her counter but having been given it all back, and a drink.  All of which might not be very bloggable were it not for this afternoon.
 
This afternoon I was visiting the hospital.  It is a decent journey and with no drink in the car I headed into the CafĂ© before doing my visit.  As it happened, and keeping the calories decently low, I set out to purchase the same kind of fizzy water again.  And a dark chocolate  because I'd had no lunch.  The lady in front of me was served.  Then a young, business-looking lady kind of pushed in the line in front of me (I think I was dozingly debating whether to have exactly the same bottle as in the morning).  I was politely  frustrated as I was in a bit of a hurry and she asked for four different drinks for her party.  Ah well.

Then she said, "And I'll pay for this gentleman's drink and chocolate too".  I looked up. "Please", she said.  "I have to use up the company expenses or Ill get offered less next year.  I know it sounds ridiculous and it is.  But I'll buy them".  And so she did.

So I sat down and drank my second free drink of the day (this time with a free chocolate too!)

Or was it the third? Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life

No comments: