Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Baptist Assembly Lite

I haven't been to Peterborough often.  For an FA Cup game years ago, and to visit the Cathedral is about it.  I've felt a little inclined to visit Kingsgate Community Church - obviously because it's an Evangelical honeypot, but also because I've appreciated Dave Smith's biblical ministry.  It's amazing what can be achieved with the Holy Spirit, the Word of God and a heart for outreach.

I gave the Baptist Assembly a miss this year.  It occupied the Peterborough building that Dave and others minister in (though it isn't big enough for them in one sitting).  Soberingly, the Baptist Movement [note our new word] fitted in at one sitting comfortably.  I've been speaking to several friends who went to find out what (apart from gender balance - we won an award, you know) I missed.

First the good news:

1. I didn't miss any preaching and certainly not any Biblical exposition.  Squeezed down from three days to one, some things just have to go.  How about the preaching of the Bible?  I wonder if any of those responsible pondered at all about the symbolism of meeting in a Bible Church that has grown exponentially and ditching the Bible?    Click here to listen to Dave Smith preaching from the Bible for 40 minutes.

2. I did miss the opening (let the Baptist Times describe it) Ed Jones invited three Regional Ministers onto the stage and asked them to place a toilet roll on their heads - and unroll it as quickly as possible. This was to emphasise that the Assembly was intergenerational.  This defies comment.

3. I didn't miss (what I have often found the most moving of things at Assembly) the individual recognition of those who have died, and those others about to be recognised in ministry and mission.  They were, instead, made part of a wall which is a nice thought provided they are also given some individual named space too.  No time for that this year of course.

4.  I didn't miss the joy of meeting lots of people I've not met in years or ever before and spending time talking with them.  No time for that this year of course.

Now the bad news:






And lastly, I really must get to the Kingsgate Community Church some time .  It's amazing what can be achieved with the Holy Spirit, the Word of God and a heart for outreach.

No comments: