Pages

Tuesday 13 December 2016

Christmas Card Mysteries: No 3

We've received a card with a quite alarming warning on the back.


You may think that at my age I should take such a warning in my stride and not worry about it.  But what worried me about it was that for the life of me I couldn't see how a Christmas Card warranted this health and safety warning.  Like most people (I like to think) I find 'contains nuts' warnings on packets of nuts a form of corporate insanity but at least I know that nuts are dangerous to some people.  But a card - not a toy, contains small parts  . . .????

Here's the card:

Eventually I solved the mystery.  The offending small part is the little red and white ribbon at the top left - the one you'd have swallowed as a 2 year old thinking it was a toy . . .

Inevitably I studied the picture to check that health and safety had been properly respected throughout the product.

Ah, there are two stockings above a live flame.  Paper wrapped presents where the sparks may fly on the hearth.  Electric lights where ones hands should hold the banister.  Presents on the stairs and a pile of them at the foot of the stairs. Filled glasses of plonk on the narrow mantelpiece above the fire.  The tree too near the fire.

That ribbon is just about the safest thing on the card!  
  

No comments: