Pages

Friday 17 May 2019

Top Ten Funeral Songs 2018: 8. You Raise Me Up (Westlife)

2018:  The Co-operative Funeral Services list of Top Ten Funeral Songs (now containing no Christian songs or hymns).  I'm looking at the merits and demerits of the top ten, and this time number 8 - You raise me up, popularised by Westlife, covered by half the music industry . . .


Why it's good for a funeral:


Norwegian Rolf Lovland originally wrote the music for his own mother's funeral. (Brendan Graham wrote the lyrics).


Why it's bad for a funeral:


It doesn't contain God (unless you supply him by how you mean the words).


Line that's most like a Christian song:


You raise me up to more than I can be


Line that's least like a Christian song:


[Not applicable - as Brendan Graham was for a while a Catholic Seminarian it all has Christian echoes]


A Quote from (writer) Brendan Graham:


'Keep a green bough in your heart and the singing bird will come'.


Why I don't want this song at my funeral:


It is so much like a hymn I might as well have a real hymn which honours God rather than one that reflects a hopeful ideal.


A better Christian alternative:

.
[There is a Redeemer . . .]
When I stand in Glory
I will see His face
And there I'll serve my King forever
In that Holy Place
Thank you, oh my father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit
'Til the work on Earth is done

No comments: