Pages

Monday 10 June 2019

Top Ten Funeral Songs 2018: 4. Wind beneath my wings (Bette Midler)

2018:  The Co-operative Funeral Services list of Top Ten Funeral Songs (now containing no Christian songs or hymns).  I'm looking at the merits and demerits of the top ten, and this time number 4 - 'Wind beneath my wings' performed by Bette Midler  . . .

Why it's good for a funeral:


It thanks God (just about).


Why it's bad for a funeral:


It's all about the other person - presumably the dead one - so a bit late to sing it to them.


Line that's most like a Christian song:


Thank God for you.


Line that's least like a Christian song:


So I was the one with all the glory.


A Quote from (singer) Bette Midler:


'I celebrate everyone's religious holidays.  If it's good enough for the righteous, it's good enough for the self-righteous I always say.'


Why I don't want this song at my funeral:


It seems doggerel to me, and I'm nobody's hero.


A better Christian alternative:



No comments: