Pages

Sunday 2 June 2019

Top Ten Funeral Songs 2018: 5. Angels (Robbie Williams)

2018:  The Co-operative Funeral Services list of Top Ten Funeral Songs (now containing no Christian songs or hymns).  I'm looking at the merits and demerits of the top ten, and this time number 5 - 'Angels' - (Robbie Williams)  . . .


Why it's good for a funeral:


Great melody and sort of other-worldly.


Why it's bad for a funeral:


Angels have their uses but they're a poor substitute for their Boss.  Death is a big deal and needs the Boss.


Line that's most like a Christian Song


And I know I'll always be blessed with love


Line that's least like a Christian song:


I'm loving angels instead


A Quote from (singer) Robbie Williams:


Sometimes I feel like I'm sailing on a sunken dream.

Why I don't want this song at my funeral:


Nothing against angels, but this song is like requesting the funeral director's window cleaner instead of the director themselves - how about loving God instead?


A better Christian alternative:


[Hail the day that sees him rise]

Highest heaven its Lord recieves
Yet he loves the earth he leaves
Though returning to his throne
Still he calls us all his own.

No comments: